Sea change for marine litter
© Copyright Haymarket Media Group Ltd. Please respect our terms and conditions and do not redistribute by email or post on the web. Email email@example.com to buy additional rights.
Best of the web
More news, picked by ENDS Europe
- US Pentagon warns of climate threat to stability RT
- Indonesian forest fires linked to palm oil production spreading ABC
- US FDA challenged over dental mercury HazMat Management
- €360m UK biomass installation scrapped Telegraph
- Tesla plans EU e-car sales, charge point expansion Silicon Republic
- Patent filings show Europe dominant in green technologies EPO
- UNECE adopts more accurate fuel efficiency test Statement
- Slovenian government approves Sava River hydro plants Statement
- EPP gathers to select Commission presidency candidate Irish Times
- Ukraine crisis highlights EU's dependence on Russian energy CBS
- China declares war on pollution as smog spreads Bloomberg
- European elections: Socialists still in front, but lead cut PollWatch
- EC takes stock of 2020 strategy for sustainable growth EU executive
EU climate and energy proposals, 22 January
The European Commission has set out proposals on post-2020 climate and energy policy, including for a 40% decarbonisation target for 2030.
To the disappointment of the renewables sector, it proposed doing away with binding national targets for clean energy. An alternative governance system will be developed “in dialogue with member states”, José Manuel Barroso said.
Shale gas recommendations are "a good demonstration of the role the EU should play, setting cross-border rules for environment and safety, but not meddling in the basic energy mix chosen by member states,” he added.
The Commission also tabled legislation to permanently fix the supply-demand imbalance in the European carbon market.
- Penguin Recruitment Ltd: Senior Ecologist - Hampshire £27000 - £33000 per annum
- Penguin Recruitment Ltd: Ecology Consultant - Cambridge £25000 - £28000 per annum
- Penguin Recruitment Ltd: Senior GIS Consultant - Reading £25000 - £30000 per annum