Latest Climate News
Montreal meeting sees little progress on HFCs23 Jul 2014 A small group of countries continue to oppose plans to tackle HFCs under the Montreal Protocol but some observers believe the debate has shifted
Bring forward fuel CO2 rules, Sweden tells EC23 Jul 2014 The European Commission is urged to finalise implementation rules for the Fuel Quality Directive before a climate summit in New York in September
UK retains 50% emissions target for 202523 Jul 2014 Despite finance ministry concern about the planned CO2 reduction, the government said on Tuesday that the evidence did not support a change
Slow progress towards lorry emission controls30 Apr 2014 The upcoming strategy to cut CO2 from HDVs is unlikely to recommend much more than emissions monitoring and reporting, finds Roz Bulleid
Europe should set an EPS for power plants13 Jun 2013 Stephen Tindale of the Centre for European Reform argues setting an EU emissions standard for these plants would make climate policies more effective
Backloading vote: an analyst’s view16 Apr 2013 MEPs' decision to block the EU executive’s proposal to ‘backload’ carbon allowance sales leaves the ETS in a precarious position, says analyst Matteo Mazzoni
Best of the web
More climate news, picked by ENDS Europe
- Aviation CO2 allowance auctions planned for September EC
- Climate change threatening German water supplies - report Reuters
- Shangai ETS firms cut emissions 3.5% in two years Business Spectator
- China plans electric vehicle infrastructure improvements Xinhua
- UK retains 2025 carbon target Bloomberg
- Australia's long-term rainfall decline caused by climate change NOAA
- Price falls in largest Chinese CO2 market on compliance day Reuters
2030 energy efficiency target
EU energy commissioner Günther Oettinger presented the executive’s proposal of a 30% energy saving target for 2030 on 24 July.
Mr Oettinger believes there is a good chance the European Council will back the goal in October, along with CO2 reduction and renewables targets.
Member states must also decide whether the target should be legally binding as the Commission document is silent on this issue.