Latest Pollution & Nature News
Greek landfill breaches EU law, court rules17 Jul 2014 Greece has breached EU law by keeping open an overfull landfill that is harming beaches used by endangered turtles, the European court has ruled
NOx from new Euro VI vehicles varies - study11 Jul 2014 Lorries used for long-distance journeys emit fewer emissions than buses and vehicles used for distributing goods in urban areas, the Dutch study finds
Austria, Poland face fines over energy in buildings10 Jul 2014 Two years after the transposition deadline, neither country has implemented several key requirements under the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive
Lower emissions ceilings are not enough30 May 2014 The EU's air quality package will not deliver the improvements Europe’s atmosphere desperately needs, says Professor Roy Harrison
Beware of biodiversity offsetting craze25 Mar 2014 Although it looks like a promising nature protection tool on paper, Hannah Mowat of NGO FERN warns offsetting may lead to net loss of biodiversity
Liability directive needs time to succeed4 Jul 2013 Revising the Environmental Liability Directive following next year’s review of the 2004 law would be premature, says consultant Barbara Goldsmith
Best of the web
More pollution & nature news, picked by ENDS Europe
- Netherlands sets water standards for three drugs Press release
- Council formally adopts GM position Press release
- Spain creates 39 marine protection areas Press release (translated)
- Estonia sets priorities for HELCOM chairmanship Statement
- Neonicotinoids linked to bird declines, say Dutch scientists BBC
- UK will breach pollution limits until 2030, figures show Guardian
- Norway publishes 2013 industrial emissions data Statement (translated)
- Council adopts new nuclear safety directive Press release
2030 energy efficiency target
EU energy commissioner Günther Oettinger presented the executive’s proposal of a 30% energy saving target for 2030 on 24 July.
Mr Oettinger believes there is a good chance the European Council will back the goal in October, along with CO2 reduction and renewables targets.
Member states must also decide whether the target should be legally binding as the Commission document is silent on this issue.
- Erm (Environmental Resources Management): Contaminated Land Consultant, Manchester Oxford and Bristol Competitive salaries and excellent benefits
- Evergreen Resources: EIA Consultant £Negotiable
- Fusion People.: Geotechnical Engineer £23000 - £30000 per annum + benefit