Latest Pollution & Nature News
Experts warn EU of weak offshore liability law18 Aug 2014 The application of the polluter pays principle to offshore oil and gas operations is “extremely limited” across Europe, an EU consultancy study has found
Liberal MEPs to lead work on biofuel reform, GM6 Aug 2014 MEPs have picked ALDE member Nils Torvalds as the parliament rapporteur on biofuels; his colleague Frédérique Ries will lead work on GM crops
Prague in bid to save EU green funding5 Aug 2014 The Czech Republic has lost at least €325m in EU funding, much of which would have been used for water and waste water management projects
Lower emissions ceilings are not enough30 May 2014 The EU's air quality package will not deliver the improvements Europe’s atmosphere desperately needs, says Professor Roy Harrison
Beware of biodiversity offsetting craze25 Mar 2014 Although it looks like a promising nature protection tool on paper, Hannah Mowat of NGO FERN warns offsetting may lead to net loss of biodiversity
Liability directive needs time to succeed4 Jul 2013 Revising the Environmental Liability Directive following next year’s review of the 2004 law would be premature, says consultant Barbara Goldsmith
Best of the web
More pollution & nature news, picked by ENDS Europe
- Planet's annual budget goes into overdraft Global Footprint Network
- US EPA expands contaminated land clean-up programme EPA
- Evaluation backs Norway's climate and forest initiative Statement
- Italian parliament backs tougher ship SO2 rules IHS Maritime 360
- EFSA rejects French call for GM maize ban Food Navigator
- Netherlands sets water standards for three drugs Press release
- Council formally adopts GM position Press release
- Spain creates 39 marine protection areas Press release (translated)
2030 energy efficiency target
EU energy commissioner Günther Oettinger presented the executive’s proposal of a 30% energy saving target for 2030 on 24 July.
Mr Oettinger believes there is a good chance the European Council will back the goal in October, along with CO2 reduction and renewables targets.
Member states must also decide whether the target should be legally binding as the Commission document is silent on this issue.
- Penguin Recruitment Ltd: Senior Ecologist, East Midlands. £20000 - £26000 per annum
- Penguin Recruitment Ltd: Principal Ecologist, Glasgow. £30000 - £40000 per annum
- Evergreen Resources: Aquatic Ecotoxicologist, Assistant/Intermediate Level £16,000 - £19,500