Insurance giant promises carbon neutrality

Leading reinsurance firm Swiss Re has pledged to become "greenhouse neutral" within ten years. The firm announced on Thursday it will reduce its own climate emissions by 15% and offset the remaining 85% by investing US$2.5m (€2.15m) in the Kyoto protocol's clean development mechanism via the World Bank. Swiss Re says it faces no regulatory constraints on its greenhouse gas emissions and took this step to enhance its corporate social responsibility. It claims to be the biggest global financing firm - and the first Swiss firm - to make such a pledge. See press release.

Please sign in to access this article. To subscribe, view our subscription options, or take out a free trial.

Please enter your details

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact Customer Support at
subs@endseurope.com
or call 020 8267 8120

Not a subscriber?

Take a free trial now to discover the critical insights and updates our coverage offers subscribers.