"Eco-friendly" Danish energy policy praised

Government has "unshakeable commitment" to cutting CO2 emissions, says IEA

The International Energy Agency (IEA) has praised Danish achievement of environmental goals in energy policies in a report released yesterday. The IEA reports on member countries' energy policies every four years. Its latest review commends the Danish government's promotion of cogeneration and wind energy. It goes on to describe as "unshakeable," the administration's commitment to achieving its carbon dioxide (CO2) reduction target, which, it says, "guides all aspects of energy policy". The government has pledged to cut CO2 emissions by 20% from 1988 to 2005 and is planning for renewable energy to supply 30% of total energy and 50% of electricity by 2030. The IEA concludes that Danish energy efficiency policies have been effective except in the transport sector, where CO2 emissions have increased by around 35% since 1990 (ENDS Daily 3 August). The IEA says Denmark's main challenge now is to liberalise its energy markets whilst safeguarding its environmental objectives. Along with other EU members, Denmark is in the process of implementing EU directives requiring gas and electricity market liberalisation. The IEA recommends that Denmark should pursue regional solutions to energy and environmental problems, which it says could help to minimise potential negative economic impacts caused by the country's ambitious national environmental goals.

Please sign in to access this article. To subscribe, view our subscription options, or take out a free trial.

Please enter your details

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact Customer Support at
subs@endseurope.com
or call 020 8267 8120

Not a subscriber?

Take a free trial now to discover the critical insights and updates our coverage offers subscribers.