"Shut-down next year" for Sweden's Barsebäck

Swedish government moves to start nuclear power phase-out after abandoning talks with industry

The Swedish government has decided to close down the remaining operational reactor at its Barseb├Ąck nuclear power station next year. Industry minister Leif Pagrotsky set the deadline on Monday after the government abandoned long-running talks with power firms aimed at agreeing a "German-style" agreement on phasing out all Sweden's nuclear stations (EED 29/06/04).

Sydkraft, Vattenfall and Fortum, the three power firms that had been negotiating with the government, expressed surprise at the government's move. The key stumbling block had been how early the phase out should begin, Swedish industry ministry official Lars Andersson told ENDS Europe DAILY. Mr Pagrotsky said that the government would also now decide within three years whether more of Sweden's oldest reactors should be closed.

Please sign in to access this article. To subscribe, view our subscription options, or take out a free trial.

Please enter your details

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact Customer Support at
subs@endseurope.com
or call 020 8267 8120

Not a subscriber?

Take a free trial now to discover the critical insights and updates our coverage offers subscribers.