Landfill ban on plastics possible by 2025, says PlasticsEurope

The EU should ban recyclable and recoverable plastic waste from being landfilled to boost the rates of recycling and energy recovery, EU plastics manufacturers’ association PlasticsEurope has said

The EU should ban recyclable and recoverable plastic waste from being landfilled to boost the rates of recycling and energy recovery, EU plastics manufacturers’ association PlasticsEurope has said.

In 2014, plastic recycling and energy recovery rates were 70% but with the remaining 30% still going to landfill a ban is needed, the industry body said.

Now Leonor Garcia, director of public affairs at PlasticsEurope, has told ENDS that under the European Commission’s circular economy proposals such a ban should be achievable by 2025.

Please sign in to access this article. To subscribe, view our subscription options, or take out a free trial.

Please enter your details

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact Customer Support at
subs@endseurope.com
or call 020 8267 8120

Not a subscriber?

Take a free trial now to discover the critical insights and updates our coverage offers subscribers.